FAQ & Resources

What Is Woman Abuse?
Woman abuse is any act of gender-based violence, abuse, mistreatment and neglect that women experience in their intimate, family or dependent relationships. The root of woman abuse is the imbalance of power and control between the woman and the person perpetrating the abuse. This can happen to any woman regardless of age, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, faith, abilities, socio-economic status and/or profession. Woman abuse knows no boundaries.
Warning Signs

The following are some common signs that a person is or may turn out to be abusive to his intimate partner. Answering yes to one or two questions below does not necessarily mean a person is abusive. However, if any of the questions below are true to your partner, you should be cautious in this relationship and seek help and support.

Is My Partner A Person Who…

  • Was abused by a parent or parent figure?
  • Grew up in a home where an adult was abused by another adult?
  • Got very serious in our relationship very quickly – said “I love you” very early in the relationship, wanting to move in together or get engaged after only a few months, or pressured me for a serious commitment?
  • Comes on very strong, is extremely charming and an overly smooth talker?
  • Is extremely jealous?
  • Isolates me from my support systems – wants me all to themselves and tries to keep me from my friends, family, doing things that interest me and are outside of what we do together?
  • Attempts to control what I wear, what I do or whom I see?
  • Is abusive towards other people, especially his mother or sisters?
  • Blames others for his own misbehaviour, mistakes and choices?
  • Abuses drugs or alcohol?
  • Has unrealistic expectations, such as expecting me to meet all of his needs and be the perfect partner?
  • Is overly sensitive – acts hurt when not getting his way, takes offense when others disagree with his opinion, gets very upset at small inconveniences that are just a normal part of life?
  • Has ever been cruel to animals?
  • Has ever abused children?
  • Has ever hit or been controlling to a girlfriend in the past?
  • Has ever threatened violence, even if they said later it wasn’t a ‘serious’ threat.
  • Calls me names, puts me down or swears at me, even if he apologizes later?
  • Is extremely moody and switches quickly from being nice to exploding in anger?
  • Believes women are inferior to men or that men and women have certain roles just because of their gender?
  • Is intimidating, for example, uses threatening body language, punches walls, or breaks objects?
  • Holds me against my will to keep me from walking away or leaving the room?
Shelter Statistics

Nipissing Transition House provides residential services to approximately 140 women and 60 children annually.

Through Women’s Outreach, the shelter’s Outreach program provides services to approximately 209 women and 60 children annually.

Through the shelter’s Transitional Housing Support Program, approximately 140 women per year receive services.

Helping Someone You Know

Abuse is an issue in our society that we don’t openly talk about. We think it happens to other people, not to us or to the people in our lives. The reality is that it can happen to any woman, including someone you know and love. A large part of helping is getting information about violence against women and the resources that are available in your community. For further suggestions on how you can help, visit neighboursfriendsandfamilies.ca.  To explore information on how other communities and countries are working to end violence against women please visit endingviolencecanada.org , domesticviolenceinfor.ca or unwomen.org for more information.



Community Resources & Supports

Community Resources and Supports

Police/Fire/Ambulance 911
North Bay Police Services 705-472-1234
Ontario Provincial Police 1-888-310-1122
Anishinabek Police Service 705-472-0270
West Nipissing Police 705-753-1234

Crisis Numbers:

Nipissing Transition House (North Bay) 705-476-2429
Ojibway Women’s Lodge (North Bay) 705-472-3321
Horizon Women's Centre (Sturgeon Falls) 705-753-1154
Mattawa Women’s Resource Centre (Mattawa) 705-744-5567
Crisis Centre (co-ed shelter) (North Bay) 705-474-1031
Amelia Rising Sexual Assault Centre (North Bay) 705-476-3355
Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Treatment Centre (North Bay) 705-474-8600 ext. 2350 or visit the Emergency Department at North Bay Regional Health Centre

Support Services:

Crisis Intervention (North Bay) 705-495-8198
Victim Services (North Bay) 705-472-2649
Community Counselling Centre (North Bay) 705-472-6515
What is the criteria for staying at Nipissing Transition House?

Women, 16 years of age and older, who are fleeing an abusive relationship can request admission to the shelter and complete an assessment. The Emergency Shelter Worker will complete an assessment with each woman to determine suitability for admission. Women coming to the shelter must be able to live independantly and cooperatively with other residents in the shelter, abide by shelter expectations, and care for herself and her children.

How long can I stay?

Due to the housing crisis in North Bay, we do not have a definite predetermined length of stay; however, all women are expected to be actively looking for housing while they are here. The needs of our clients, including length of stay, are assessed on an individual, and regular basis.

Do I have to be physically abused to come to Shelter?

No. Abuse can take many forms and impact on a women’s physical and emotional safety. Nipissing Transition House assists women who are fleeing all forms of abuse including emotional, financial, psychological, sexual etc.

Where is the Shelter?

Nipissing Transition House is located at 547 John Street, North Bay, Ontario. We are such a small community that our location cannot remain confidential. We ask that if you are able, to please call ahead so we know who is coming to the shelter. The shelter phone number is 705-476-2429.

Can I bring my children to the Shelter?

Yes. We accept all female children. When a female reaches the age of 16, we then consider her a woman in the shelter. We accept male children up to and including 15 years of age. Women with male children sixteen years of age and older will be referred to the Crisis Centre, a coed shelter in North Bay. The phone number for the Crisis Centre is 705-474-1031. Staff will assist you with alternate arrangements if necessary.

Will my children go to school while I’m in the Shelter?

Yes. Staff can assist you in enrolling your children into a nearby school or making arrangements for transportation so they can continue to attend their current school-provided it is within school-busing zones. Shelter staff can also assist you in applying for subsidized daycare services.


Can I bring my pets to the Shelter?

Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate pets in the Shelter. Service animals, with proper documentation, are permitted to be with you at all times during your stay. Food and water will be provided to service animals during this time.

What should I bring to the Shelter?

If you can, you should bring your identification and your children’s identification. Bring any paperwork/documentation/pictures that you will not be able to replace or get copies of. Bring with you clothing that you will need during your stay. Please be aware that all clothing must be washed in the shelter prior to it being allowed in your bedroom. We are unable to accommodate furniture due to limited space.